CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shimmy frame

This fabulous frame is made from wooden shims. I had no idea what a shim was till I saw them at Lowes and thought those could be used as a craft. But I had no ideas myself, till I found this fabulous frame.


I found it at this site Occasionally craftytarget="_blank"
Valerie did a great job making it. It can also be found at Kylas blog http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorials If you have a moment check out these talented chicks blogs. Super fun.

I plan on changing the picture in the frame. I don't even know who those ladies are, but I wanted a sepia or black and white photo and this was all I could find. :) I have the perfect pic that I want to use from our family trip to Myrtle Beach last year of the kids. I will get to it one day.

If you don't know, shims are just small pieces of wood that have a slight wedge to them. My bundle cost me $3. haha Love that. I think people use them for doors or something like that.
I found this old cheap frame in a closet. I thought it was perfect for this project. That bundle of shims was all that I needed.

I added a 4x6 piece of paper and taped it down where I wanted my pic to eventually be placed.

Then like a puzzle I started to add the shims. I broke or used a sharp knife to cut the shim where needed. I did this when my hubby was out as he would not be impressed that I was using a knife to cut the wood. ;)
Then I painted the shims with a couple of coats of straight up white paint. Then I took my distressing ink pad (love that thing) and just aged the pieces a bit. I think I over did a few.

Then using wood glue I glued them right onto the frame. It was like a puzzle tyring to fit the pieces back in there. I LOVE the look of this frame. Thanks to Kyla and Valerie for helping me use up those shims that were sitting around. :)

15 comments:

  1. This is so fab! I have a ton of lolly sticks which I think I may try to use for a frame, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! You did a great job!

    http://lucyluvinyl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amands and Krystine. :)It was fun to make.
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey- it looks great! Glad you made one.

    Have a great week
    Valerie-www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks great!

    abranconier.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea. I would love for you to share this at my Fantastic Friday link party.

    http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Valerie. I just love it. I have to say that it was one of my fave things to make. I just love the look of it. You are a clever chickie. :)

    Thanks Amber.:)

    Thanks Jen. I will do that. Thanks for asking me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! I've seen those little packages of shims and just passed them by! I won't do that anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool and clever idea. THanks for sharing and for joining my newbie party. I would love if you added my newbie button or link to your actual post. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi - I'm visiting from Debbiedoos. This is a fantastic idea! Great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've seen those shims before and thought they would be good for a craft too,, i love your frame. Good idea. Coming over from the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete